Standard Bank Group is a firm believer in technical innovation, to help us guarantee exceptional client service and leading edge financial solutions. Our growing global success reflects our commitment to the latest solutions, the best people, and a uniquely flexible and vibrant working culture. To help us drive our success into the future, we are looking for an experienced Metadata Specialist to join our dedicated IT team at our Johannesburg Offices. This is an exciting position that will enable you to implement a comprehensive Information Technology- Data Programe, apply today to be a part of it.
The Metadata Specialist is responsible to assist in developing the overall Metadata strategy. Thereafter, plan and engage with various stakeholders to implement the strategy. The role will also define, design, create, implement and update the Meta Data Repository with all its processes and standards.
Works with various stakeholders as to ensure that the Metadata is usable and consumed in a common understanding as well as improving access to all information resources.
- Design the Metadata collecting and maintenance procedures and standards defining how the Meta Data will be extracted, transformed, loaded and accessed.
- Define and implement data quality controls in the Meta Data load process.
- Implementing integration tool interfaces for collecting, Meta Data into the Repository and distributing Meta Data to the target systems.
- Troubleshoot and solve Meta Data integration technical problems.
- Define, implement and constantly improve a best practice modelling methodology for implementation of the Enterprise Meta Data into the Repository Information Model.
- Designing technical alternatives that influence the implementation of a Meta Data Repository.
- Conceptualise, design, develop and implement the policies, processes and support structures needed to capture, store, maintain and manage data definitions, descriptions, integrity rules, and other business and technical Meta Data associated with the BI environment.
- Documentation of Meta Data specifications and Meta Data quality standards.
- Aids in the evaluation and selection of appropriate software and other information technologies relevant to Meta Data, controlled vocabulary and other information access projects.
- Makes recommendations on resources and systems utilizing knowledge of user needs, Enterprise Data Management Centre goals and resources and corporate projects and goals.
- Works closely with Business Analysts, Meta Data Specialists and IT Staff on gathering and implementing impact analysis and other reporting requirements produced from the Meta Data Repository.
- Works closely with Business Analysts, IT Specialists, End Users and Management in collecting business definitions for Meta Data.
- Mentor Business Analysts, IT Specialists and Management in effective use of the Meta Data tool.
- Communicates with internal department managers regarding problems with and the capabilities of the Meta Data solution.
- Facilitate Enterprise Meta Data alignment with repository projects.
- Define, implement and constantly improve a best practice process for Key Performance measure achieving this.
- Provide input into Enterprise Communication sessions to assist with awareness of the Meta Data.
- Consult with end users to gather and analyse specific Meta Data requirements.
- Ensure improvement of content through constant review and feedback with end users.
- Provides outreach to other departments regarding utility and implementation of controlled vocabularies and Meta Data as means of enhancing discovery and retrieval of information.
- Document and maintain Meta Data about the Meta Data Repository and Meta Model.
- Document the Meta Data collecting and maintenance procedures and standards.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- A relevant tertiary level qualification of 3 to 4 years.
- Exposure to Metadata.
- Exposure to Data Warehousing.
- Experience in Teradata, IBM IIS and UMR
- Broad and in-depth exposure to all facets of Data warehouses (such as Analysis, development work, DBA work and production support) would be an advantage.
- Good knowledge of Metadata
- Good knowledge of business understanding
- In-depth knowledge of Data Warehouse best practices
- Knowledge and technical appreciation of the interconnectivities and interfaces between various technical platforms, operating systems and processes
- Must understand the need to align the IT and business strategies